"It's our immediate responsibility to protect the environment and set an example, so that future generations can experience and witness the same beauty and opportunity that we've all experienced."
Rachel Karcich, Owner and Designer
Environmental sustainability is an important part of our business model, and something that we take very seriously. At RG, all of our infrastructure, planning, strategies, trading and manufacturing practices, as well as our operational processes and policies integrate our focus on preserving the quality of our environment.
We incorporate day to day practices that focus on preserving clean air and water, protecting the climate, and preserving the world's forests and biodiversity. Below are some examples of how we implement sustainability as a business today.
Environmental Sustainability Practices:
- When searching for our perfect office and retail location, we kept our eye out for properties that were energy self-sufficient. Today, we're proud to work and showcase our jewelry in a space that is powered by solar energy! Our solar panels, located on the roof of our building supply up to 95% of the electricity for our office and retail space.
- It was time to turn on the lights. We installed all new LED lighting in our space, which is up to 80% percent more efficient than traditional lighting. Less energy use with lighting reduces the demand from power plants and decreases greenhouse gas emissions.
- All of our in-store jewelry display, as well as our cash wrap and counters are built from PEFC certified wood which promotes sustainable forest management.
- It gets hot in Los Angeles, and we like to stay cool too. Our HVAC system has been recently updated and is of the highest efficiency with the latest thermostat technology ensuring that optimal, energy conserving temperatures are maintained whether we are open for business or closed.
- Recycle, reduce and reuse. We have a strict company recycling policy which includes returning all paper, cardboard, plastics, cans and bottles to local recycling centers. All printer cartridges and cell phones are also returned for remanufacturing.
- Let's stay hydrated and save the planet while doing so. We have a filtered drinking water system installed in our space providing for both a reduction in water bottle waste and healthier drinking water for ourselves. We promote and recommend using reusable water bottles and glass cups.
Trading and Manufacturing Processes:
- We pride ourselves on working with only precious metals including 14k and 18k Gold, 14k Gold filled and .925 Sterling Silver. Using such quality materials reassures that our jewelry won't end up in the garbage and in landfills unlike costume or plated jewelry.
- We recycle, melt down and reuse all of our precious metal scraps for future manufacturing. Another benefit of using precious metals is that you can always recycle and melt it back down for future use, because at the end of the day it's high quality materials that we don't want to go to waste.
- We cast and mold a majority of our gold and silver pieces locally in Los Angeles and our 14k Gold filled pieces are either made by us or somewhere throughout the United States by small and family owned businesses. We have close relationships with all of the companies we work with, who pay fair wages to their employees, implement clean manufacturing practices and carry the same core values that we do.
- It's of the utmost importance to us knowing that the companies we work with have strict processes and trade policies in place for a responsible global supply chain of minerals.